Thursday, June 10, 2004

The power of PageRank

PageRank was developed by Google years ago to try and measure the "importance" of a page on the web. Since PageRank is one of the variables used by Google to create their search results people have tried to improve their PageRank to drive traffic. I thought it would be good to give people an example of why having a high PageRank is important.

When I started this blog I had a PageRank of 0... I was a nobody on the net. Within about a month my PageRank improved to 1 where it stayed for about another month. During my month with a PageRank of 1, I would occasionally get visitors that were sent to me via Google, but not too many. Recently my PageRank improved to 3, and literally my traffic from Google has more than tripled. I know that part of the reason I am getting more results is that because everyday I add content that gets indexed and makes my site relevant to more queries, but I know that the majority of this new traffic is due to my improved PageRank.

No comments: