Wednesday, June 09, 2004

If you can't go back to dial-up, you won't go back to a wired world either!

I remember when I was a freshman in college I was exposed to my first broadband internet connection. When I returned home for the holidays and had to dial-up to the net, I looked at my father and told him that I didn't think I could deal with dial-up ever again... this was all back in 1995.

An FCC report was released today that showed broadband access grew at 42 percent last year, to around 28 Million lines. I was certain in 1995 that once people experienced broadband they would never want to go back to dial-up. Over the last 2 years I have felt the same way about wireless broadband. I hate having to plug an ethernet cable into my laptop almost as much as I hated having to dial-up.

What is my point? I believe that the growth of broadband access and wi-fi networks in the home will lay the foundation for EXPLOSIVE growth in broadband wireless services like Verizon's EV-DO. Consumers are quickly becoming used to their wireless broadband and they will soon expect it to be available to them everywhere.

Check out this review of Verizon's service from Walt Mossberg who is notorious for tearing apart products and services that aren't ready for prime time. Needless to say I hope this service comes to my market soon!

No comments: