Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The CONTINUED failed execution of Gmail

Almost exactly one month ago today I wrote about what I perceived to be "The failed execution of Gmail". At that time I stated that Gmail was in risk of failing due to the extended time it was taking the company to launch the product after announcing it. I thought it was taking Google far too long and that Yahoo! or Microsoft would respond before they got to market, and that if that occurred it would be a BAD thing for Google.

Well today the window of opportunity for Google to execute on Gmail has closed. Yahoo! has officially upgraded all their free email users from 4 MB to 100 MB of storage space. While the 100 MB is still 10 times less than the 1000 MB offered by Gmail, I believe that 99.9% of web based email users have no idea exactly how much space they need for their online storage, but they do know that the 4MB or 2MB account they had before was too small. Additionally, without any tools from Google to help they switch accounts, Yahoo! users now have almost no incentive to ditch their Yahoo! account and move to Gmail when it becomes public.

Like I have stated before, I am a big fan of Google, but I really think the company has totally botched this offering.

No comments: