Monday, June 21, 2004

God bless competition

A month ago I blogged about how I believed the impending head to head competition between cable companies and local telephone companies would drive consumer prices down. Back then I thought it would take years for competition to get stiff enough to drive down my $180 cable, phone and internet bill to around $80 a month. Well, I was WAY OFF... Check out this quote from a news.com article:

"On Monday, Cablevision Systems introduced an aggressively priced bundle of services, offering high-speed Internet access, Internet-based phone calls and digital cable for $90 a month."

I am sure that this bundle isn't as comprehensive as the package I get now, but I am also certain that it is just the beginning of price drops and that these companies won't be able to find any other attribute to compete on other than price. Now if the FCC could help push along standards for super high speed fixed wireless, we could see big time competition.

No comments: