Tuesday, July 13, 2004

The rise of FireFox

For a couple of months now I have been watching momentum build behind the Mozilla based browser FireFox. A few weeks ago I made the switch myself and recommended that anyone reading this blog give FireFox a try. When even greater security problems were discovered in IE I have been wondering what is happening with market share in the browser space... well today News.com has a great article detailing exactly what is going on.

According to WebSideStory, Mozilla based browsers like FireFox have gone from 3.5% market share on June 4th to 4.6% on July 9th. Microsoft's IE has lost 1.3% of the market over the same time, down to 94.1%. While I am not saying that IE is in any real trouble... they still have 94% of the market, there are anecdotal signs that consumers are looking for something better. The first sign for me is that my father (who I will admit is more tech savvy than the average consumer) asked me today about switching from IE to Mozilla. The second sign is that almost everyone I have talked to says that once they have tried FireFox, they will never go back to IE.

Everyone knows how fond I am of competition... competition spurs innovation. Therefore I am openly rooting for Mozilla to continue to gain market share. I hope every FireFox / Mozilla user helps to market the browser to their friends and that the browsers wars get restarted.

No comments: