Friday, July 09, 2004

Microsoft's Mid-life crisis

I have read about 20 stories detailing Microsoft's "mid-life crisis", but this one over at BusinessWeek is short and to the point. While a lot of stories on this topic focus on the need for Microsoft to find new areas to grow revenue, I think this story hits upon a much larger issue, and that is employee moral. I have talked with people at Microsoft and they certainly don't have that same "change the world" energy as they did the past. Many of the people I know there look at it as a "job". I compare this to the time I have spent talking with folks at Google, and the difference is unbelievable. Google employees are fanatic about their ability to change the world and make a difference... so much so that I times the culture is almost cultish.

No comments: