Monday, July 26, 2004

Interesting day to start at RealNetworks

Tomorrow is my first day of work at RealNetworks. After arriving in Seattle I did my usual tech news reading and came across this report from News.com that details RealNetworks' plan to open up the iPod by allowing songs bought through the RealNetworks music store to be played on the iPod.

My only comment on this matter is that this move by Real represents a huge step forward for consumers. A few weeks ago I wrote how many companies selling digital music have decided to compete by locking in consumers. This move by Real shows that the company is not interested in locking in consumers through DRM, Codecs, Players, etc, but instead interested in providing consumers the best digital music experience possible, with the freedom to buy music and be sure you can play it anywhere on any device.

When the ability to download the beta software goes live I will post a link to it.

No comments: