Friday, April 30, 2004

The insanity of buying a Gmail account

Like any good second year MBA student right now I spent the day on the golf course trying to get my game to a respectable level. Upon returning home I have been wading through email, blogs and the like... well I finally got around to checking out eBay to see what is going on with the selling of gmail accounts and all I can say is "WOW"

As of now there are about 130 invitations being sold and this auction is up to $168 Dollars right now!!!! My favorite part about some of these listings is that they highlight "LIMITED TIME" and "FREE SHIPPING". Let us think about this for a second: (Note the following should be read in the most sarcastic tone possible)

"LIMITED TIME": I think what the seller is trying to say here is "There is a LIMITED TIME window that I can sucker you idiots into paying over $150 for what will be free shortly". Or maybe what the seller means is "The flood of other people that will offer gmail accounts means that I will only be able to take advantage of you for a LIMITED TIME"

"FREE SHIPPING": Ok, this is my favorite one of them all. If you are savvy enough to know what Gmail is and that accounts are being sold on eBay then you know there is NO SUCH THING as "shipping" a gmail account! Given that you know there is no such thing as shipping, then you should realize that someone advertising "FREE SHIPPING" for an email account knows they are selling to suckers!!!!

My final thought on this topic for today is more of a question than a thought: Who do you think will make more money off of Gmail in the next 2 weeks, eBay or Google?

No comments: