Tuesday, April 13, 2004

If the economy wasn't tough enough, now you have to fight spam filers

Spam has always been just a mild annoyance to me. For years I have managed numerous email accounts to avoid the issue of spam. I have a Yahoo! mail account, 2 hotmail accounts, as well as my student account which I never use for anything other than real business communication (I even used javascript to create the mailto link on the right hand side of this page so bots won't be able to pick up the address.)

But now Spam is affecting my job hunt, and that is more than an annoyance. I targeting a small number of firms and I have set up "job agents" on these firms career websites to email me when new positions become available that match my criteria. I have noticed that I haven't gotten any new openings emailed to me recently so I checked out the sites manually... and guess what... there are numerous new matches for me. It appears that some of these messages are getting killed by spam filters. Not only are spam filters killing messages I have subscribed to, they may also stop my emails sent to companies from getting through. The WSJ has a great article about this if you have a subscription: WSJ.com - Stringent Spam Filters Mistakenly Block E-Mailed Resume

Bottom line: Spam used to just be annoying, now it may be affecting people's ability to get a job... which is much more than an annoyance.

No comments: