Saturday, May 08, 2004

Which is more evil: Gmail or the state of Massachusetts?

A while back I blogged about how a state senator from California was introducing legislation to try and stop Google from launching Gmail because of privacy concerns. Well recently, Massachusetts, the state I currently reside in has posted on the state's website a list of individuals and businesses they believe to be delinquent on their state taxes.

Now I don't know about you, but I feel much safer having email in the hands of Google than I do having my financial reputation in the hands of my Tax person. Think about it... pretend you are in the midst of a job hunt and you have a disagreement with your home state around your income taxes. The state then posts your name on its website saying you are essentially a criminal where any search engine could get this information. I don't know about you, but I trust Google with my email more than I trust that any state tax & IT system.

No comments: