Saturday, September 18, 2004

A9 - Innovating in the right way

When it became obvious that Google was going to hit is rich hundreds of search companies formed to try and become "the next Google". Many lumped A9, the search subsidiary from Amazon into that group, but in reality A9 approached the market in a MUCH smarter way than others.

Rather than focusing on creating the best algorithms for searching the web, A9 left that task to Google and decided to innovate on the user experience, and I must say I am very impressed. The site is simple and fast like Google, but much more powerful at the same time. I can conduct my simple searches and get Google quality results, but for searches that require it I can easily layer on top of the search results page additional information like images, reference info, etc. As a side benefit of having signed in with an A9 account (which is just my Amazon account) I get 1.57% off all my Amazon purchases.

Bottom line: Amazon approached their A9 venture in a very smart way, let Google handle the plumbing, and let A9 innovate on the experience.

No comments: