Thursday, August 26, 2004

Should I continue?

When I started blogging I was a business school student just letting my opinion on certain topics be known. I really enjoyed being able to write on any topic at any time. I could call out Sony for various mistakes in the market without worrying about anything... I could praise Google one week for creating Gmail then bash them later for what I would consider poor execution of a good strategy. I simply didn't have to worry about anything since even though I was interviewing with many of the companies I would bash I felt comfortable standing behind my point of view in any interview.

Now that I have started work at RealNetworks I have found that I can't really talk about the topics I love... consumer electronics, digital media, etc. I am simply concerned that my views will either be viewed as RealNetworks point of view or that I will give away how I view a certain industry. For example, I have strong views about certain things in digital media and how it will interact with CE devices, but I can't express those thoughts because they are the same concepts I will fight for here at Real.

So I have been thinking about a few options... One option would be to just stop writing on the topics that I have conflicts with. The problem with this option is that these are the very topics I am most passionate about. A second option would be to kill this blog and then start up a new blog where I would write under a different name. A third option is to just stop writing all together.

If you have some advice please email me or post in the comments for this posting.

Thanks!

No comments: