Monday, August 27, 2007

On Intelligence...

I can't get the concepts I am learning from On Intelligence (the book I am currently reading), out of my head. The author is Jeff Hawkins, who is best known for starting Palm (of Palm Pilot fame) and Handspring (of Treo fame). Jeff's theories on how the brain works are fascinating, and the implications of his work, if correct, will be astonishing. A friend of mine named Phil Shoemaker works at Jeff's current start-up Numenta, and I am very glad that he turned me onto the book.

I HIGHLY recommend that new product developers, the intellectually curios, product designers, AI developers, parents, teachers, heck... basically everyone should read this book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree. This book is fascinating, and although the technology is new, the Numenta release is capable enough to solve some very complex problems. You should give that Pictures demonstration a run. Amazing. That Phil Shoemaker guy is awesome too!

Lou Paglia said...

Mark: Thanks for the book recommendation, I will need to add it to my list. Currently reading Everything is Miscellaneous by Weinberger