Sunday, October 10, 2004

Is MSN asleep at the hotmail wheel?

It has been over 180 days since Google announced Gmail. That means any company in the web based email business has had 180 days to react. It didn't take long for most... Yahoo! responded quickly and raised the capacity of Yahoo! mail accounts from 4 MB to 100 MB. Microsoft also announced that by the end of the summer they would raise the hotmail storage limit... well it is now October, clearly in the middle of Fall, and my hotmail storage is still a lowly 2 MB. I hate my hotmail account, with all the junk mail I get to that account it is constantly filling up, and I have to check it all the time just to make sure something that is important doesn't bounce.

So what are the boys in Redmond up to? Are they asleep at the hotmail wheel? I will tell you this much, I am ready to shut down my hotmail account because it is just too much of a pain to deal with compared to Yahoo! and Gmail. Why can't a company that dumps Billions into R&D with little to show for it pour some resources into being competitive in the web-based email market.

1 comment: